Friday, November 5, 2010

key01-yaaWhat is Fondant?

w-iron04b
w-iron04b

I do not know when and who invented fondants,
but it is such a amazing food material for people.
It allows chefs to express their creativity and turn cake into a piece of art.

Many of my customers asked for fondant cake with whipped cream or fresh fruit.
I have to apologize that I have not yet figure a solution for fondant to contain water base cream and filling.
The marshmallow fondant I made would melt once it gets too much moisture.
That is why fondant cake always go with butter cream.

It is also the reason why I recommend my customer to leave fondant cakes in room temperature.
Because if once the fondant is refrigerated and bring back to the room temperature,
it would SWEAT!
the shape might change and food colors might leak to other parts
A lovely cake would totally lose its original look.

In the past, we only use fondant on wedding cakes.
After a TV show Ace of Cakes has reintroduced fondant to public,
now it has became more welcome in cakes for Birthday and other occasions.
It is a edible dough made with confection and food-grade glycerin.

According to the dictionary,

"...is one of several kinds of icing-like substance used to decorate or sculpt pastries...the sugar pliable and creates a dough-like consistency. It can also be made using powdered sugar and melted marshmallows."

The fondant I use in my kitchen is simple,
I prefer to make my own fondant because there are too much artificial ingredients in those pre-made.
It is just icing sugar + marshmallows.
Personally I think the taste and texture are also better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin